Advocate Attacked While Questioning Interviewee On Planned Parenthood’s Work
On Thursday, April 3, a pro-life advocate was violently attacked during a street interview in Harlem, New York City, highlighting the escalating tensions surrounding the abortion debate. Savannah Craven Antao, a journalist and influencer affiliated with the pro-life advocacy group Live Action, was punched in the face by an interviewee while discussing abortion and unborn children. The incident, captured on video, has sparked widespread attention and raised questions about free speech and public safety.
Read More
The altercation occurred as Antao conducted a segment titled “What Does Planned Parenthood Do? Perception vs. Reality?” She was posing a simple question to passersby—“Do you know what Planned Parenthood does?”—when the situation turned volatile. According to Antao and her husband, Henry Antao, who was filming the interview, the assailant initially engaged in a polite conversation. However, upon learning of Antao’s pro-life stance, the woman became agitated and struck Antao in the face, leaving her bloodied and requiring medical attention.
Footage of the assault shows a brief exchange before the attack. Antao can be heard saying, “I’m not the one who admitted they would be okay with killing babies in foster care and killing children that had been abused,” in response to the interviewee’s comments. The woman replied, “That’s not my point,” before lunging forward and delivering two blows to Antao’s face. Henry Antao quickly intervened, positioning himself between his wife and the assailant to prevent further harm. The attacker then fled the scene.
Images and video of the aftermath reveal Antao with a laceration near her eyebrow and blood streaming down her face. She was taken to a hospital, where she received two stitches for her injuries. In a statement posted to social media later that evening, Antao confirmed she was recovering and thanked supporters, saying, “In the hospital recovering. I had to get stitches. Thank you all for your support.”
Live Action President Lila Rose condemned the attack, praising Antao’s courage. “Today, Savannah Craven, a pro-life reporter working with Live Action, was physically assaulted while peacefully exercising her First Amendment rights,” Rose said. “Her bravery in the face of violence is heroic. We are grateful she is safe and receiving support. No one should ever face physical assault for expressing their views in public.” Rose emphasized that the organization remains undeterred in its mission to end abortion and defund Planned Parenthood, which receives over $700 million in taxpayer funding annually.
Henry Antao provided further details to Live Action, stating, “The woman became aggressive and violent upon learning Savannah’s pro-life stance. I intervened to protect my wife, and we immediately called 911. The police arrived, and we provided them with the assailant’s photo and description. We hope justice will be served soon.” As of Friday afternoon, April 4, 2025, the New York Police Department’s 20th Precinct detective unit is investigating the incident, but no arrests have been reported.
Antao, a vocal pro-life advocate with a significant online following, has conducted street interviews for years, often engaging with individuals on controversial topics. Despite the assault, she told Catholic News Agency, “Absolutely not,” when asked if the incident would deter her activism. She also expressed sympathy for her attacker, saying, “I know that that woman was hurting inside, and that’s why I still want to pray for her, and that she finds peace with herself.”
The attack comes amid growing violence and intolerance by far-left Democrats against those who don’t align with their beliefs. While Antao plans to continue her work, she has launched a crowdfunding effort to hire additional security for future interviews.